Festive Treats for Dogs | Recipe
Christmas is a time for treats, whether you're treating yourself to an extra mince pie or treating your loved ones to that cosy pair of socks. So why not treat your fluffy best friend to some delicious homemade treats this Christmas? We discovered this delicious recipe via Vegan Food & Living and it is Hiro + Wolf approved!
- For the biscuits:
- 150g pea puree or beetroot puree
- 60g natural peanut butter
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 400g spelt flour
- For the icing:
- 2 heaped tbsp potato flour
- 1 tsp honey
- A little water
- In a small bowl, mix the ground flaxseed with six tablespoons of water, and pop this in the fridge for about 15 to 20 minutes to thicken. This will act as your binding agent (substitute for egg if you're not making them vegan.)
- Preheat the oven to 165 degrees celsius and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Bring a pot of water to boil, blanch your peas, and drain. Then place the peas in a food processor with 1 to 2 tablespoons of water and blitz until you have a smooth, brightly coloured puree. For the beetroot puree, you can buy pre-cooked beetroot to make this process go faster.
- In a bowl, using either an electric hand mixer or a whisk, beat together the puree you've chosen to use, the peanut butter, and the flaxseed until the mixture is well combined.
- Gradually sieve the spelt flour into the mixture, stirring with a spatula until the dough is no longer sticking.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out until it is about half an inch thick. Using a cookie cutter, cut into shapes and place onto the baking paper lined tray.
- Pop in the oven and bake for around 25-30 minutes. The longer you leave them in, the crunchier they will be, so bake according to your dog's preference!
- Allow to cool completely.
- For the icing, in a small bowl, mix the potato flour and the honey and slowly add a little water until it thickens to resemble glace icing. Place in the fridge to thicken whilst the biscuits are cooling.
- Once the biscuits have cooled and the icing has thickened, decorate the biscuits with your icing however you'd like!