Did you know that some plants and flowers can actually be dangerous for your cat? “While any plant material can cause mild stomach upset, some plants are much more dangerous” says Tina Wismer, medical director at the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Centre. Most cut flowers come with a flower food sachet to keep them fresh, and this can be toxic to cats. Even the vases you put your flowers in could cause a problem. “Cats especially like to drink from vases, so make sure the cat cannot overturn a heavy vase and hurt themselves” Wismer says. “Breakable vases can also be a hazard for your pets…and you, when you have to pick up the pieces.” If you’re considering adding some greenery to your home, check this list to find out which flowers and houseplants are safe for your feline friend...
Some flowers that are safe for cats include;
- Gerber Daisies
Cats Protection have some great resources, including as extensive list, on flowers that are safe on their website, which you can access by clicking here. Generally, if you are unsure whether a flower is safe or not, you are best off leaving it out of your home until you know for sure. Lots of online florists make it easy to tell whether a bouquet is pet-safe or not, so be sure to look out for this information.
Some houseplants that are safe for cats include;
- Pilea (Chinese Money Plant)
- Calethea (Prayer Plant)
- String of Hearts
- Christmas Cactus
- Spider Plant
- Fishbone Cactus
- Maidenhair Fern
Care should be taken when purchasing house plants, as varieties such as cycads, cheese plants and aloe vera are not cat-friendly. Seasonal plants like mistletoe and poinsettia are also dangerous.
What are the signs of plant poisoning in my cat?
If you think your cat has been poisoned, it is important to contact your vet immediately. Don't wait for signs of illness to develop. Signs of poisoning can include (but are not limited to);
- breathing difficulties
If you know what your cat has eaten, take a sample of it to the vet. Even a sample of vomit may help diagnosis, particularly if it is an unusual colour or contains plant matter. Most importantly, don't panic. Seek advice from your vet immediately and they'll be able to help.